At First United Bank we understand that life happens—and occasionally, that means that unexpected overdrafts can occur. If you inadvertently overdraw your account, we offer several products that can help make sure you’re covered.
Overdraft Coverage Options
At First United Bank the choice is yours. Consider these three ways to cover overdrafts:
|Overdraft/Sweep Transfer to Another Deposit Account you have at First United Bank1||$5 fee per transfer|
|Personal Line of Credit1, 2
(Available on grandfathered accounts only)
|Subject to fees + interest|
|Overdraft Privilege||$25 Paid Item Fee per item. Daily interest will apply.|
1 Call us at (855) FUB-STAR (382-7827) or visit your nearest First United Banking Center to sign up or apply for these services Jump back up to reference 1 Jump back up to reference 2; 2subject to credit approval Jump back up to reference 3.
Overdraft /Sweep Transfer applies to all transactions and may help prevent overdrafts by automatically transferring funds to your checking account from another account, or line of credit you may have at First United
Bank for a fee or finance charge. Please note that overdraft lines of credit are subject to credit approval.
Overdraft Privilege allows you to overdraw your account up to the disclosed limit for a fee to pay a transaction. Even if you have Overdraft/Sweep Transfer, Overdraft Privilege is still available as secondary coverage
if the other protection source is exhausted. Please review the “What Else You Should Know” section included with this letter for other important information.
|Transactions Covered with Overdraft Privilege||Standard Coverage
(No action required)
(Your consent required) *
|If you would like to select Extended Coverage for future transactions:|
|ACH – Automatic Debits||Available||Available|
|Recurring Debit Card Transactions||Available||Available|
|Internet Banking Transfers||Available||Available|
|Teller Window Transactions||Available||Available|
|ATM Transactions||Not Available||Available *|
|Everyday Debit Card Transactions||Not Available||Available *|
*If you choose Extended Coverage, ATM transactions and everyday debit card transactions will be included with the transactions listed under Standard Coverage.
Jump back up to reference 4
Jump back up to reference 5
Jump back up to reference 6
You can discontinue Overdraft Privilege in its entirety by contacting a Customer Service Representative at (855) FUB-STAR (382-7827).
We appreciate you choosing First United Bank for your banking needs. Thank you for putting your faith in us.
What Else You Should Know
- A link to another account or a line of credit may be a less expensive option than an overdraft. A single larger overdraft will result in just one fee, as opposed to multiple smaller overdrafts. Good account management is the best way to avoid overdrafts. Use our mobile banking, internet banking, and telephone banking services to keep track of your balance. For additional financial education resources, please visit www.mymoney.gov.
- The $25 Paid Item Fee that is charged if you overdraw your account more than $5 is the same fee amount that is charged if an item is returned as unpaid. If multiple items overdraw your account on the same day, each item will be assessed an appropriate Paid Item Fee or a Return Item Fee of $25. All fees and charges will be included as part of the Overdraft Privilege limit amount. Your account may become overdrawn more than the Overdraft Privilege limit amount because of a fee.
- If an item is returned because the available funds in your account is not sufficient to cover the item and the item is presented for payment again, First United Bank will charge a Return Item Fee each time it returns the item because it exceeds the available funds in your account. If, on representment of the item, the available funds in your account is sufficient to cover the item First United Bank may pay the item, and, if payment causes an overdraft, charge a Paid Item Fee.
- If your account balance remains overdrawn for longer than 1-day Business Days, we will charge your account 18% daily interest for each of the consecutive Business Days, the account remains overdrawn, beginning with day 1.
- For consumer accounts, there is a limit of $150 Paid Item Fees per day we will charge. We will not charge a Paid Item Fee if a consumer account is overdrawn by $5 or less.
- If there are available funds to cover some, but not all, of the withdrawals or other debits to your Account on a single business day, we will post the checks for which there are sufficient available funds. First United Bank posts transactions in the following order: ATM withdrawals, checks cashed at the teller line, and POS transactions post in date/time order as received by the Bank, other checks post in serial number order, and ACH debits post in amounts from low to high. We may pay other withdrawals or debit items (such as charges) prior to paying any checks. Holds on funds and the order in which transactions are posted may impact the total amount of Paid Item Fees or Return Item Fees assessed.
- Although under payment system rules, First United Bank may be obligated to pay some unauthorized debit card transactions, First United Bank will not authorize debit card or ATM transactions unless your account’s available funds (including Overdraft Coverage Options) is sufficient to cover the transactions and any fee(s).
- Giving us your consent to pay everyday debit card and ATM overdrafts on your consumer account (Extended Coverage) may result in you incurring Paid Item Fees for transactions that we would otherwise be required to pay without assessing a Paid Item Fee. However, this would allow us to authorize transactions up to the amount of your Overdraft Privilege limit and may also help you avoid overdrafts more than your available funds. If you consent to Extended Coverage on your consumer account, it will remain on your account until it is otherwise withdrawn.
- First United Bank authorizes and pays transactions using the available funds in your account. First United Bank may place a hold on deposited funds in accordance with our Deposit Account Agreement and Disclosure, which will reduce the amount in your available funds. The available funds for checks, ACH items, and recurring debit card transactions is comprised of the ledger balance, less any holds on deposited funds and any debit card holds, plus the amount of the Overdraft Privilege limit and any available Overdraft Protection. The available funds for ATM and everyday debit card transactions on accounts with Standard Coverage is the ledger balance, less any holds on deposited funds and any debit card holds, plus any available Overdraft Protection, but does NOT include the Overdraft Privilege Limit. For accounts with Extended Coverage, the Overdraft Privilege Limit is included in the available funds for authorizing ATM and everyday debit card transactions.
- Please be aware that the Overdraft Privilege amount is not included in your available funds provided through Digital Banking or First United Bank’s ATMs.
- First United Bank will place a hold on your account for any authorized debit card transaction until the transaction settles (usually within two business days) or as permitted by payment system rules. In some cases, the hold may exceed the amount of the transaction. When the hold ends, the funds will be added to the available funds in your account. If your account is overdrawn after the held funds are added to the available funds and the transaction is posted to the available funds, a Paid Item Fee may be assessed.
- Except as described herein, First United Bank will not pay items if the available funds in your account (including the Overdraft Privilege limit, if applicable) is not sufficient to cover the item(s) and the amount of any fee(s).
- An Overdraft Privilege limit of $500 will be granted to eligible consumer checking accounts opened at least 30 days in good standing.
- An Overdraft Privilege limit of $1000 will be granted to eligible business checking accounts opened at least 60 days in good standing.
- Overdraft Privilege is not a line of credit; it is a discretionary overdraft service that can be withdrawn at any time without prior notice.
- Overdraft Privilege may be reduced if you default on any loan or other obligation to us, your account becomes subject to any legal or administrative order or levy, or if you fail to maintain your account in good standing by not bringing your account to a positive balance within 32 days for a minimum of one business day. You must bring your account balance positive for at least one business day to have the full Overdraft Privilege limit reinstated.
- Depositor and each Authorized Signatory will continue to be liable, jointly and severally, for all overdraft and fee amounts, as described in the Deposit Account Agreement and Disclosure. The total (negative) balance, including all fees and charges, is due and payable upon demand.